What makes a brain or machine conscious? Will robots become more conscious than we are? One theory, which can actually calculate consciousness, is beginning to provide some answers.
↓Want more info?↓
* Simulation of animats (simulated beings) from generation to generation, showing increase of phi: http://integratedinformationtheory.org/animats.html
* Research paper on Integrated Information Theory 3.0: http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003588
* More on medical uses of IIT with EEG: http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/5/198/198ra105.short
* More on Behavioral Zombies and Philosophical Zombies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#Types_of_zombies
* More on the relationship between consciousness and free will: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Integrated_information_theory
Host, Writer, Producer: Greg Kestin
Animation & Compositing: Marquee Productions & Greg Kestin
Contributing Writer: Lissy Herman
Filming, Writing, & Editing Contributions from:
Samia Bouzid and David Goodliffe
Image Contributions from: Drew Ganon
Editorial Input form:
And the entire NOVA team
From the producers of PBS NOVA
© WGBH Educational Foundation
Funding provided by FQXi
Music provided by APM
Sound effects: Freesound.org
Neuron & MRI footage: Pond5
Additional footage from: Rise of the Robots, find credits at
What’s Inside a Black Hole?
360° Dive into a BLACK HOLE
3 Ways Black Holes Could Break Physics
The Biggest Puzzle in Physics: Quantum 💔 General Relativity
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?